Watch as she attempts to dig herself out of debt and navigate the path to wealth.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Investing - My First Trade!

So I've finally pulled the trigger and traded my first stock! One of the first things that I learned about investing in the stock market, as a complete novice, is that when you buy or sell a stock it's called trading. Minor detail. Anyway..
I signed up for an online brokerage through Sharebuilder. I really like the interface and find it very easy to navigate, especially for a beginner. I'm using money from an old 401(k) that was rolled into IRA to trade with. is another online brokerage that I recently found. They offer cheaper fees, $4.95/trade compared to $6.95/trade with Sharebuilder and they're running a promotion right now. If you switch over they will give you up to $150 bonus. Not a bad way to start investing for someone on a tight budget with not a lot of cash to spare!
What ever you choose to do, check it out thoroughly and always do your research.
My first stock trade was Hewlett-Packard Co, HPQ. I purchased 5 shares for $33.14/share, a total purchase price of $165.70 + $6.95 in fees. This isn't a huge investment and I am comfortable if I lose a few bucks on this. HPQ is currently trading at $34.52. I've had it for about a month and I think i'll keep watching it for another month. If it doesn't do much i'll put it on the sell list. Ideally, I want to make my purchase price + fees back at the very least, but we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted on this one and my future trades too!

Are you trading? What was or will be your first trade?

Send me a message. Did you love the post or hate it? What would you like the next topic to be? Follow me on Twitter @financegirl


1 comment: