Watch as she attempts to dig herself out of debt and navigate the path to wealth.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Personal Career Confession

It is Saturday
after the 4th of July, and as I sit in my boyfriend's empty and quiet apartment (he caught an early flight out of town this am) I decided to brew some coffee and write a quick blog post about some exciting things that are on my horizon. I have decided to put my efforts, well at least 50% of them back into designing and producing my women's clothing line. I designed and launched a small clothing line on my own about 3 years ago and was surprised by my initial success, as I really had no experience with any aspect of it, except for how to work a sewing machine. The success of the business was cut short because I was offered a full time job and took it. This action is one that I find myself thinking about often and contemplating a sense of regret. However, the full time job has turned into a great career, the type of career and work environment that some would kill for. I am surrounded by young, creative, smart and caring people everyday. I was promoted from a part-time bookkeeper to Accounting Manager to the Director of Operations of this successful small design studio in NYC in just 2 years. In that sense, my hard work for this company has paid off and I have so much respect for the company and the people that I work with and for everyday.

This is the confession part...
Working for someone else and in this job is not my passion and I want out. I have been silently struggling with this thought for months. I have been trying to push the though aside and remain happy and positive about what I have accomplished and what I have. In a sense I have built something within this company and myself. Perhaps this was my trial run. I have a feeling in my gut that there is more for me and that I should be on the other side of the employee/employer relationship. It is my dream to create a business and to work really hard for the success that I can truly call my own and that can put me on the path to financial freedom. This, I believe is the only way for me. Thank you for letting me confess my secret. I will be documenting my journey through this chapter and into the next.

Next steps:
*Get out of debt - I am working very hard on my credit card debt and should have this paid off by the spring.
*Emergency fund - I currently have 2 months of emergency funds in the bank and would like to have at lease 4.
*Work on passive streams of income to help financially support me - Blogging, investing, selling clothing samples at markets around the city
*Work on the clothing line in my free time - update my website, market it online and to stores, get people talking about it and get the presence going


Send me a message. Did you love the post or hate it? What would you like the next topic to be? Follow me on Twitter @financegirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment