Watch as she attempts to dig herself out of debt and navigate the path to wealth.

Friday, January 2, 2015

Recap and 2015 Kick Off

Hello 2015, goodbye 2014. 

2014 was a year of getting serious and taking action. I really got into educating my self about money matters and also getting real with my own situation. I had been in denial for way to long.

One of the biggest takeaways from 2014 for me was to get out of debt and do it before doing anything else. There is no sense in saving, beyond an emergency fund, when you have thousands of dollars of debt hanging over your head. Get it paid. So I went into my savings and pulled out what I could spare and left enough in there to have in the event of an emergency.
I also went through my stocks and thought, what I can sell here. I really shouldn't have this much in stocks when I have this much in debt.
Some people say that you shouldn't be contributing to a 401k while you're trying to get out of debt but I don't subscribe to this. I can't see passing up free money from my employer who is willing to match anything I put into the account up to 4% of my income.
I do have $100/paycheck going to a separate savings account automatically. This is my business emergency fund and I feel like it is important to be saving for this while i'm paying on debt.
What i'd like to focus the blog on this year is my continued push to get out of debt. But I will also be talking a lot about my push to move on from a 9-5 job and starting to plan the steps to moving towards working for myself and starting my own business. I am considering 2015 to be the start of this journey and I'm so excited to share every step of it with you!
Here's to a great 2015!

Send me a message. Did you love the post or hate it? What would you like the next topic to be? Follow me on Twitter @financegirl

No comments:

Post a Comment